Call for research projects 2012
Grant commitments totalling €397,078 were made by SMA Europe, of which €100,264 by the SMA Trust.
The two operating grants which will be funded by the SMA Trust are:
1. Dr. Shingo Kariya, Columbia University, USA: "Elucidate the molecular mechanism underlying maturation and remodelling defects of the neuromuscular system in SMA". Project duration: 2 years.
2. Dr. Martine Barkats, INSERM, France: "Optimization of AAV9-SMN gene therapy for SMA". Project duration: 2 years.
Call for research projects 2011
Grant commitments totalling €664,583 were made by SMA Europe, of which €265,833 by the SMA Trust.
The two operating grants and the post-doctoral fellowship which attracted support and will be funded by the SMA Trust are:
1. Dr. Tilmann Achsel, University of Leuven, Belgium: "mRNA transport in SMA pathogenesis".
2. Professor Matthew Wood, University of Oxford: "Exosome delivery of splice switching oligonucleotides for the treatment of SMA".
3. Dr. Yannick Tanguy (Post-doctoral fellowship), L'Institut de Myologie, France: "AAV9-mediated Gene Therapy in murine models of SMA".
Call for research projects 2010
Grant commitments totalling 560,000 Euros were made by SMA Europe, of which 35% or 200,00 Euros were the contributions made by the SMA Trust.
The three institutions and researchers supported by the SMA Trust were:
1. Professor David Satelle, Manchester University, UK: "New drug and new drug target for Spinal Muscular Atrophy using chemical and functional genomics." End date: September 2012.
2. Clinical Trials Preparation Project: "Building a SMA dedicated clinical trials infrastructure across Europe."
3. Dr. Sandra Duque, Ohio State University, USA: "Delivery and correction of SMA using AAV vectors." End date: September 2013.
Call for research projects 2009
(Live projects. Click here for completed awards)
1. Dr. Ke Ning, University of Sheffield: "PTEN modulation effects on motor neuron axonal growth and neuromuscular junction size in Spinal Muscular Atrophy". Click here for link to publication. End date: August 2012.
Call for projects 2008
(Live projects. For completed grants, click here)
1. Professor Francesco Muntoni, UCL Institute of Child Health: "Outcome measures in SMA Type II and III". End date: February 2013.
1. The SMA Foundation, New York, USA: "Rasch Analysis of functional scales used to assess SMA". September 2010