Since 2003 The SMA Trust has committed just over £4 million to funding the following:
- Research into furthering the understanding of SMA
- Research into promising therapeutic avenues
- Initiatives for paving the way to clinical trials
- The retention of experts in the SMA field
- Crucial communication and exchanges between SMA scientists
(hover over parts of the image below to discover more)
Where is our research taking place?
Our research is carried out at centres of excellence in the UK, such as: Oxford, Edinburgh, London (Institute of Child Health & The Royal Holloway), Sheffield, Newcastle as well as continental Europe and the US.
What is our strategy?
The SMA Trust’s Research Strategy, developed with Scientific Trustees, identifies current and future priorities. It broadly has three arms:
- To fund research areas that promise to make the greatest scientific impact,
- To support the SMA research community,
- To ensure the UK is well prepared to participate in clinical trials so that potentially life-saving treatments can be accessed as early as possible.
The SMA Trust recognises the importance of collaboration, at national and international level, both to advance SMA research but also to make sure that research in the UK is not duplicating efforts elsewhere.
To achieve this, we have established close ties with SMA stakeholders across the world:
- SMA Europe: we are a founder member of this pan-European consortium of patient and research organisations,
- Muscular Dystrophy UK and SMA Support UK in the UK,
- Cure SMA and The SMA Foundation in the USA,
- Pharmaceutical/biotech companies,
What are our funding priorities for 2016 – 2018?
- Funding research in the UK through our UK SMA Research Consortium,
- Funding clinical trials initiatives in the UK through SMA Reach UK,
- Funding research globally through SMA Europe.
Together with our colleagues at SMA Europe, we have been involved in initiatives which help the clinical development of potential therapies for SMA. These initiatives range from organising workshops between stakeholders, to liaising very closely with pharmaceutical companies and regulators. Find out more about SMA Europe’s activities here.